Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Pain in the Legs


I have had leg pains for years which have caused me to lose sleep. About 6 months ago I couldn’t take the pain anymore so I finally visited my doctor. He diagnosed me with “Restless Legs Syndrome.” What...? What is Restless Leg Syndrome – your legs suddenly, without warning, want to take a walk? No, but, it’s a real diagnosis and a real pain.


People with Restless Legs Syndrome feel a compelling urge to move their legs, usually accompanied by uncomfortable leg sensations. People often describe these as creepy-crawly, tingling, tightening, pulling, or burning sensations deep in their legs. These symptoms, which begin or worsen during periods of rest or inactivity (such as lying down or sitting) are partially or completely relieved by movement - as long as the movement continues. Symptoms also worsen in the evening, making it sometimes difficult to fall asleep.


During the last 6 months I’ve tried a variety of drugs and pain killers to stop the pain, but nothing has worked. Recently, I saw a commercial on television advertising the drug Requip, so I called my doctor and asked if I could try it. I tried it, and it has worked!!! I can now get to sleep without the crawly feeling in my legs. I can only hope it continues to work.


All medications come with a lengthy list of all the bad things that “could” but “probably won’t” happen to you if you use this drug. The insurance company is obviously trying to have some legal cover in case they kill you. At any rate, I read some of the side effects of the drug: ...”some patients taking Requip have shown urges to behave in a way unusual for them. Examples of this are an unusual urge to gamble or increased sexual urges and/or behaviors. If you or your family notices that you are developing any unusual behaviors, talk to your doctor. Hallucinations (unreal sounds, visions, or sensations) have been reported in patients taking Requip.”


M-m-m-m-m...I’ve got to run; I think the file cabinet just “winked” at me...was that an urge or a hallucination?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a coincidence! I've been diagnosed with RLS, too. And the Requip helps -- with sleeping and the creepy-crawly feeling in my legs. If only the hallucinations would conjure up a cure for the heightened sex drive....

Bruce